Quick Search
Welcome, Log In or Sign Up to save your searches and bookmark your favorite listings.

May 2008

There are 12 blog entries for May 2008.

Sarasota and Port Charlotte Property Sales Rise in April

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 at 9:59am. 1,715 Views, 0 Comments.

Home buyers have moved back into Southwest Florida, pushing April home sales up 5% in Sarasota and 6% in Port Charlotte. Even more promising, the rising sales were accompanied by rising prices. Though prices continue to be lower than a year ago, the median Sarasota sales price ($268,200) was 12% higher in April and Port Charlotte's property sales where the third-best performance in the state for the month. Overall, median sales prices are still lower than a year ago; 11% lower in Sarasota and 27% lower in Port Charlotte, but the year-over-year comparisons mask nine months of prices stabilizing in a band of roughly $240,000 to…

Read Full Post »

2008 Hurricane Season Set to Begin

Thursday, May 29th, 2008 at 3:35pm. 1,680 Views, 0 Comments.

Florida Hurricane Season BeginsAnother hurricane season is set to officially begin this weekend and it is important for Florida Gulf Coast residents to pay attention and be prepared. With two recent years of above-average storm forecasts and below-average actual storms, many residents may feel confused about what to expect this year.

Government forecasters officially predict six to nine hurricanes in 2008, with up to five becoming major storms. They also say the chances for an above-average season are about 65%; the chances for a normal season about 25%; and the chances for a slow season about 10%. Unfortunately, for many Floridians, the forecasted outlook…

Read Full Post »

The Vineyards Real Estate Sales Report - January to March, 2008

Wednesday, May 28th, 2008 at 8:08pm. 1,779 Views, 0 Comments.

The first quarter 2008 The Vineyards real estate market statistics for both homes and condominiums are listed below. Located in southeastern Naples and in a world of its own, this beautiful master planned gated golf community features the Vineyards Country Club which gives residents a selection of two 18-hole PGA championship golf courses. There is also a 32 acre community park and six miles of walking and biking paths that wind through majestic oaks, Cypress stands and nature preserves.

The Vineyards Sales Data

The Vineyards Home Sales Jan-Mar 2008*:
  • 27 Closed Sales
  • Average Sales Price - $667,059
  • Median Sales Price -…

Read Full Post »

Please Be Firewise in Florida

Thursday, May 22nd, 2008 at 4:55pm. 1,805 Views, 1 Comments.

Florida WildfireWith aproximately 87 wildfires encompasing over 45,000 acres currently burning in Florida, now might be a good time to consider some simple things you can do to help protect your property.

Fire researchers from the Division of Forestry say that even 30 feet of defensible space around a home can greatly decrease the probability of structure damage or loss due to a wildfire. Florida Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Charles H. Bronson urges state residents to take action and points to three problem areas that can be corrected very inexpensively:

  • Roof and Gutters: remove all dead leaves, pine needles, small twigs…

Read Full Post »

The Fallacy Behind Higher Tax Rates

Wednesday, May 21st, 2008 at 5:44pm. 1,603 Views, 0 Comments.

I ran across an excellent article today by David Ranson in the Wall Street Journal. It has to do with a review of economic data about the federal tax system written by Kurt Hauser. Published 15 years ago, Mr. Hauser stated "No matter what the tax rates have been in postwar America, tax revenues have remained at about 19.5% of GDP."  Ranson has dubbed it "Hauser's Law"  and laments in his article "What a pity it is that his discovery has not been more widely disseminated."

With all the political drivel about how the wealthy have to pay their fair share or how those who have been more successful owe a duty to those who have been…

Read Full Post »

Cape Coral Real Estate Sales - January to March 2008

Sunday, May 18th, 2008 at 4:49pm. 1,721 Views, 0 Comments.

The January thru March Cape Coral real estate market statistics for both homes and condominium sales are listed below. Cape Coral, known as the "The Cape,"  is one of the largest master-planned communities in the nation. The city features 400 miles of fresh and salt water canals - most with gulf access, wide-ranging waterfront sports and community activities. Cape Coral is the 3rd largest city in Florida in terms of land mass with nearly 115 square miles of residential and commercial space. Over 55% of its population is under the age of 44, so the city is family oriented, schools are important, and the quality of life is truly…

Read Full Post »

HUD Extends RESPA Comment Period

Friday, May 16th, 2008 at 8:14pm. 2,135 Views, 0 Comments.

HUD has announced a 30-day extension, to June 12, 2008, for the public to comment on the proposed new Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) rule. The announcement came just days before the initial comment period was set to end and on the heels of a letter HUD received signed by 149 members of Congress. The Congressional letter referenced the extensive nature of the RESPA reform proposal and the fact that some aspects of the proposed changes had not previously been the subject of public comment.

In addition, the letter stated that further analysis was needed on the proposed rule's interaction with state and federal laws and…

Read Full Post »

Beware Alligator Mating Season

Tuesday, May 13th, 2008 at 10:51pm. 5,643 Views, 2 Comments.

Florida AlligatorFlorida residents and visitors should be aware its alligator mating season once again and you cannot be too careful with these fierce but wonderful creatures. Each year as spring turns into summer and the weather begins to truly warm, an alligators metabolism increases and they become quite frisky in seeking out mates.

Once on the edge of extinction, the alligator population has fully recovered and encounters with humans are inevitable. You can find them on your front lawn, in your swimming pool and even in your house, if you're not careful. Awareness and understanding are the keys for learning how best to live near the areas they…

Read Full Post »

Southwest Florida Property Sales on the Rise

Saturday, May 10th, 2008 at 5:08pm. 1,520 Views, 0 Comments.

For all the doom and gloom you hear about home sales from the national media, the old adage that all real estate is local, could not be more evident than here in Southwest Florida. Homes sales in our local markets, including Bonita Springs, Estero and Naples have picked up quite nicely since the beginning of the year. In fact, for many areas and property types, the local market is moving ahead at a very nice pace. A quick look at the numbers, from actual and pending sales to available inventory, in many instances, is pointing in a positive direction. Does this mean the bottom is here?

A simple answer is both yes and no. The bottom…

Read Full Post »

Southwest Florida Population Growth Slows to a Sprint

Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 at 9:36am. 1,963 Views, 2 Comments.

By any standard, population growth in Southwest Florida has slowed from the torrid pace of 2000-2006. However, it still ranks near the top when compared to the rest of the country. The Cape Coral-Bonita Springs-Ft. Myers metropolitan area (Lee County) dropped one spot to the fourth fastest growing metro area while the Naples-Marco Island metropolitan area (Collier County) fell to the 16th fastest growing metro area for the time period 2000-2007.

The rankings are based on the percentage of growth, not the actual number of people. Lee County's population grew by 33.9% (150,000) and Collier County's by 25.6% (65,000) from April 2000…

Read Full Post »