While Florida already had one of the toughest Sexual Predator Penalty Laws in the nation, it now has become the third state to comply with the federal law known as the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA). The new law is designed to create an across the board method of registration and tracking sex offenders throughout the country.
Additions to Florida’s already tough standards in the new federal program include the following:
- Increasing the number of times per year sexual offenders and predators must register with their local Sherriff’s Office.
- Requiring all registered sexual offenders and predators to register any e-mail or instant messaging address they may have prior to using it.
- Requiring juvenile sexual offenders to register if adjudicated of certain crimes after July, 1 2007.
- Increasing the minimum length of registration for sexual offenders while removing the ability for sexual predators to petition a judge for removal from registration requirements.
- Increasing sexual offender-predator notification to the public, including free e-mail notifications made available to citizens through the Florida Offender Alert System.
Parents seeking information on possible sexual predators may now find additional information about offenders posted on Florida’s Official State Website listed below. Saying it’s unfair to lump all offenders into the same category, the state now includes details of each crime and the date when it occurred. This site is updated often and is a reliable resource for parents to use. It also includes other relevant information like Amber Alerts, State of Florida updates, articles, and other criminal related activity reports. The state is also stepping up its school outreach program designed to help teach students how to remain safe while online. When you combine the SORNA compliance with the state’s Jessica’s Law and already enacted criminal penalties, the state has made it clear to sex offenders “you are not welcome here” and we take the safety of our children seriously. We again applaud their ongoing efforts.
- Florida’s Official State Website
- Family Watchdog – Predator Information
- Florida Child Protection Information
- SORNA Website
Gulf Coast Associates, Realtors
Bonita Springs, Florida
Specializing in Southwest Florida Real Estate for Sale